Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hank's First Post


Dear Friends, Family, and Fellow Canines,

After last night's Presidential Debate, I knew the time had come for me to write my first post. Overall, I thought the candidates came out pretty even. McCain clearly knows his foreign policy and can name drop the agricultural minister of Kerplakastan and has likely had tea with his grandmother. Obama was calm, collected, and organized. I do wonder who age is effecting more, as at one point, Obama referred to John McCain as "Tom". However, whenever they really started sparring, it must have really made mommy uncomfortable because she kept getting up and walking out of the room. Not sure if it was nerves or her bladder.

I thought it was my obligation to do some fact-checking for you:

At one point, McCain mentioned that Eisenhower wrote 2 notes on the eve of D-Day. One intended to congratulate the troops, and the other to tender his resignation if the mission failed.

FALSE. Eisenhower did write 2 letters, but in the one written in case of defeat he did not offer his resignation. He in fact blamed the whole mission on his dog, Heidi. I'm not sure that's the historical lesson McCain was going for.

Obama claimed that Henry Kissinger supported the President meeting with Iran without any preconditions.

FALSE. Kissinger did say in some instances he thought it might be helpful to meet with Iranian leaders, but at the Secretary of State level. I don't think this is a good idea under any circumstances, as generally speaking, the Muslim culture does not favor keeping dogs as pets. You won't catch me on a flight to Tehran!

Did you know that Obama does not have ANY pets? He needs to make a decision: be a cat person or a dog person. He can't make up his mind. Kind of like when 129 times in the Illinois state senate he voted "present" instead of "yes" or "no".

McCain, on the other hand has fourteen dogs, six cats, two turtles, three birds, fourteen fish and a ferret. If this isn't a clear case of political pandering, I don't know what is. Obviously, he is trying to cover every constituency.

My last comment is that I have been thoroughly disappointed this campaign season by the lack of one piece of proposed legislation in particular: top-to-bottom treat subsidies. It is getting hard out there for a dog to get a Milkbone these days, and I know this is one law we can all agree on.

I gotta go, my Aunt Betsy's on her way here, and she's going to clip my nails!

4 comments:

Robbie, Martha, Campbell, and Maggie said...

Hank,
Thanks for the fact-checking. Too many times we just take things for granted.

Also, Norah says "Hi!"

Dad and Dianne said...

Dear Hank:
Great blog. We have plenty of Milkbone treats at the elder Dickerson residence in Texas. Our dog, Jake, would definitely share his treats with you and he would like to tell you his thoughts on the debate. (He also wondered about the "Tom" comment and felt this would not have happened if Senator Obama had stuck with saying "Senator McCain" instead of John). We look forward to your comments after the Palin-Biden debate!

kpb said...

hank, you are smarter than most americans with 2 legs (myself included). keep up the good work.

LFMaas said...

I am so glad to see that Hank is as articulate and aware as his parents! I love the blog you guys. I'm hooked already. I'll have more to say tomorrow after the Vice Presidential debate. If only I didn't have class! love y'all.
lauren