Tomatoes
Bell pepper
Parsley
Cilantro
Basil
Mint (If we're being honest here, the mint is being grown purely for summer cocktail purposes)
You may be thinking, "Wait! Don't tomatoes need sun?" Yes, they do. After careful observation of said backyard, we realized that for a few hours in the afternoon the sun hits the house wall. So we did what anyone else would do and enlisted our friends at....
Topsy Turvy!
I tell you what, that plant took off like gangbusters! We have been waiting patiently for the actual fruit and yesterday noticed this:
We actually started the whole thing in April when Joe brought home packets of seeds: basil, oregano and cilantro. I know that it can be difficult for the amateur to grow herbs from seeds. So, again, I did what anyone else would do and poured the entire packet in the pot. I think there were roughly 100-200 seeds per packet and I figured that from those numbers maybe at least one would take. This is what happened:
At that point I took most of the shoots out to make room for the strongest ones.
Unfortunately, I must have picked the strong ones out because the plants never grew one more centimeter.
So we got plants at Home Depot and this is how they are looking right now. (We have yet to find a Cilantro plant)
Our project this week is to rid the backyard of the "brush" type plants: fountain grass and other ground-cover that is a good hiding place for SNAKES. I don't care if they are pretty- they are OUT!
I will leave you with a picture of the little boy during our gardening adventure.
2 comments:
Ahh!!!! I want a topsy turvy!!
just love that you are experiencing the bounty of the earth....
but......that last picture is a heart breaker!!
Post a Comment