Sunday, September 20, 2009

Apple Pickin'

We have spent every moment possible outside lately because the weather is oh so beautiful. (The windows have been open for 3 weeks!!!) This afternoon we loaded up and went to pick our own apples (and blackberries) at Crooked Run Orchard (remembering that a creek in Virginia is called a run). I've heard of people "picking their own" before, but we had never ventured out to do so. We brought Hope and Billy along for the fun.

We went to the blackberries first, and Billy casually mentions that the thing he doesn't like about picking blackberries are the snakes that are beneath the bushes. WHAT? If you know me, you know that I am terrified of snakes. There was once a snake loose 3 classrooms down from mine at school (the kids weren't there!) and I still felt the need to climb up on top of my desk until it was captured. Of course I turn around and right in front of me is a SNAKE. Seriously. Not 10 seconds after the sentence left his dirty mouth. Oh my heavenly stars, if I hadn't been wearing little boy I might have had to do something drastic, like faint.

Moving on.

Against my better judgement, I walked down the blackberry rows and did a little pickin'. My heart raced the whole time.
(Oh, and little boy is having a rough time with the teething lately, so he doesn't look thrilled in any of these pictures)

A view of the orchard and our main pickers.

Since we came late in the season, most of the reachable apples had been picked. Never fear, Billy is quite adept at the tree-climbing. He would grab them and throw them down to Joe.


Joe doing a little product tasting, just in case.
Our harvest. $27.10 (there is another basket of blackberries somewhere)

Team D.
Oh, and little boy is now sitting up for longer than 5 seconds at a time!


Hope you had a splendid weekend!

3 comments:

cwheat said...

I can almost taste the blackberry cobbler that I'm sure team D used some of those black beautys for!! Little boy is just sad that Gran isn't there-- I know that face!

kpb said...

i LOVE apple pie- hint hint :)

bb said...

nice shorts. and nice product placement of the giraffe (thx. glad to know she's being loved.)

bb