Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Hitchin'- Canadian Style

This weekend we attended a family wedding in Canada. How can this be? My dad's sister (my aunt) married a Canadian pastor and that produced Canadian cousins. Who get married. In beautiful places that are 40 degrees cooler that Virginia. Praise. the. Lord.

On Friday we drove up to Kingston, Ontario where my cousin Daniel and his new wife Julia are finishing up their PhDs at Queens University (because they are smart like that). We met most of my dad's side of the family up there, as well as the rest of Daniel's family (his dad's side), whom we have always considered to be family as well. Because we like them. My Uncle Gary (the aforementioned Canadian pastor) performed the beautiful ceremony. How is anyone supposed to keep a dry eye when your steady-eddie uncle can't begin the ceremony because he is choked up at his son standing before him getting married? Sheesh.

On Saturday we were slated to go on a three hour tour of the Thousand Islands/Lake Ontario region complete with lunch. Included in our group were an engineer, geographer, life coach, and most importantly, a realtor, so I was feeling fairly confident of our safe return. However, the wind was gusting at 40 mph and the swells on the lake were reaching 6 to 8 feet so they CANCELED on us... after we were aboard, seated, and sipping iced tea that our Canadian waitress was quite proud of having concocted. The good news was that they fed us for free- the bad news was that this was the excursion I was looking most forward to of the entire weekend. And for the record, our waitress told us, they had never NOT gone out. Of course.

A quick note here about the food that was consumed over the weekend. The only good meal I ate was at the wedding reception. Every other meal from Fri. to Mon. was dismal at best. I'm not sure if I was picking the wrong entree or what. We ate at different places, and I never remember having this issue in Canada before. But it's sad when you are relieved to see an Arby's on the side of the road once you get back in the states and beg your husband to pull over.

I will tell the rest of the weekend in pictures and interpretive dance:

(Except we didn't take a ton of pictures because we spent our free time wrangling a toddler)

Grayson proudly using his passport for the first time

Daniel and Julia at dinner

Grayson LOVED Julia. I don't think all of her fun accessories hurt her chances with him.

Dad, Don, Karl. Solving the world's problems before dinner.

Cousin Rachel. She looked charming in EVERY picture she appeared in this weekend. How does one manage that?

Uncle Gary and Wendy- you should hear her beautiful South African accent!

This is my grandma. I'm not sure she has ever made the blog- which is shameful for me. You should know that at 82 years old she has better legs than me. And to add insult to injury, she could probably beat me in a foot race.

Uncle Don and Aunt Tara- they are way fun and are still in Canada celebrating their anniversary.

Mom and Dad. Dad- you are lucky I didn't post the other takes of this picture.

Cocktail hour after the ceremony

This is sadly the only picture I have of the bride in her gown. And the only other picture of the wedding. Things were getting touch and go with Grayson.

So that's all.
Sorry for lying about the interpretive dance part. I wanted to keep you hooked.

As for Grayson and his behavior during two 10 hour car rides, hotel rooms, and a wedding/reception...the kid deserves a pony.

2 comments:

Jenny Meredith said...

Twenty hours in the car with a toddler?! God bless you!

kpb said...

LOVE that new picture of your there up top! and MISS YOU like crazy . . .