Monday, September 20, 2010

Love Languages

Many of you have read The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. (If not, we highly recommend it) The main idea of the book is that everyone has a "primary way of expressing and interpreting love". The 5 Languages are Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service and Physical Touch. The interesting thing to note is that you are most likely to give what you love to receive. Make sense? Joe's language is Physical Touch: holding hands, hugs, me rubbing his back, etc. Mine is Receiving Gifts. So of course (even though we know better) Joe gives me physical touch and I shower him with gifts. What can you do? We're trying.

All of that to say that Grayson's little love language has become overwhelmingly clear in the last couple of months.

QUALITY TIME!

This kid, in the words of Crosby, Stills and Nash, loves the one he's with. When we were in Texas in August and Mom was taking care of him he only wanted Gran. He didn't want me, his Dad, his other grandparents, anybody. Forget about it.

At the beginning of September we went to Canada for the long weekend and then Joe was off work much of that week for various doctors appts. Thus, he spent a lot of time taking care of and playing with Grayson.

Of course I was present at this time too, and it was at this point that I started getting my feelings hurt when he didn't want to come to Mommy.

I shouldn't have. Now that we're back at home together, on our normal schedule, buddies all day, it's all about Mommy again.

Even when Daddy is around.

And Mommy is happy.

And now, you too, know the (current) key to Grayson's heart, if you ever need to use it.

3 comments:

The Hawkins said...

I want to give Grayson some quality time!! Can't wait to see you guys!

kpb said...

you look AMAZING A and that G is such a handsome thing. Hope you are feeling great, loving your life, and feeling the JOY! miss you so bad I can't stand it . . .

cwheat said...

I have to believe that if I walked through that door I'd be number one again!!