Monday, April 4, 2011

A Cherry Blossom Day

Today Mom and I made the bold decision to go see the cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin in DC. Bold because we brought our 2 little friends with us on the 5 hour excursion. I felt brave to even consider it because people come in droves to see the blossoms and I wanted us to be able to relax and enjoy our time rather than fight the crowds. As a mom I had been somewhat obsessing over all the contingencies of my well thought out plan.

This is a sample list of my thought process in chronological order: (you moms can tell me if I am crazy or not)

1. Can we time feedings, getting dressed and out of the house after morning rush hour but not too late for afternoon naps?
2. Will there be parking left at the Metro after all the commuters have come and parked?
3. Will there be room (few enough people) on the Metro to get the stroller on?
4. Will Grayson deal with the 30 minute Metro ride?
5. Will the elevators be working at both Metro stops so we don't have to schlep the stroller up the escalators (that might also be broken?)
6. How much money do I have on my Metro fare cards already? Maybe we won't have to stop and load them up?
7. Even though it's a weekday will the crowds be unbearable because of the perfect weather?
8. Will Grayson sit on the picnic blanket to eat lunch?
9. Will there be room near the blossoms for the picnic blanket?
10. Will Grayson dive into the Tidal Basin?
11. How many tantrums/meltdowns will we have to endure?
12. Is it WORTH IT??

I am so thrilled and thankful to report that we had a perfect day. Perfect weather, parking spaces, mostly working elevators and escalators, great first "choo-choo" rides, thin crowds, happy boys, and no chasing toddlers with their lunch in hand. And great pictures!



So worth it!