Monday, April 5, 2010

Not Me! Monday: Bathroom Tile Edition



Well, it has been quite some time since my last Not Me! post, but after our latest home improvement project, I had too much material not to write. (Not Me! Monday is a blog carnival created by MckMama as an outlet to confess your (im)perfections.)

Mom came up this past week to help me, yes ME, Ashleigh, retile our guest bathroom. Mom has done a lot of tiling in the past and we were thrilled to have her expertise. We tiled the bathtub area and the floor and it looks great! Once we put in the new vanity and fixtures we'll post pictures. I know I keep promising to post photos of all our completed projects and I haven't. Well, this is actually our FINAL major project on the house (whoop!), and so when it is finished I will be posting pictures of each room on consecutive days. Promise. Really.

And now to the not good stuff.

Over the days of the tiling I did not go back to my dirty paint clothes wearing ways all around town. Each day I got up and put on fresh clothes that matched or at least clean ones. I definitely did NOT make an early morning, spur of the moment trip to Home Depot without first brushing my teeth. Nope! Not me! That would be seriously disgusting and I would feel self-conscious the entire time.

When at said Home Depot, you surely would not have caught me trying to use my dirty, make-up free, scraggly hair self to bat my eyes at the helpful (male) employees to drop what they were doing to help me find things such as a 2 inch wide diamond head drill bit that goes through porcelain. And I did not do this so many times that the employees began recognizing us and saying,"There he is!" (meaning Grayson) each time we came around the corner.

While mixing mortar outside, I surely did not breathe in the dust from it that had a warning on the package that clearly said, WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT BREATHE IN THE DUST. (Maybe I paraphrased a bit)

Mom and I do not still have grout in our fingernails two days and several showers and hand-scrubbings after the project.

And finally, I did NOT have a tile nightmare last night! Nope that would mean that I have let tiling take over my brain. But if I did have a nightmare it might have been like this: I buy a bunch of tile and decided to redo all of the floors in the Price's house (Rowlett friends). I begin by tiling the floor in the boutique in their house (what?!). But the next morning, after the mortar and grout is completely set, I realize I have not used tile spacers or paid attention AT ALL to where I am putting the tiles, and it is a disaster! And there is absolutely no way to chip it out or fix it. And on top of that, their daughters (and my sweet friends) are annoyed with me the whole time I am at the house and want me to leave.

If I had a nightmare like that, I would not have woken up in a panic, only to be so relieved after taking a peek and seeing mine intact.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

So glad to see NOT Me is back! Maybe someday I'll get my act together and join in.